ANTI CORROSIVE VCI PACKAGING SOLUTION
WHAT IS VCI ?
Corrosion is a constant, indiscriminate and costly enemy of metal parts, especially when packaged for storage and distribution. Traditional anti-corrosion methods are messy, costly and can be hazardous to personnel and the environment. Too often, they are ineffective as well.
Globally the losses every year due to corrosion is estimated to be unimaginable US$ 828 billion per annum. i.e. US$ 2.27 Billion per day. (NACE)
VCI (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor)
- A mixture of special chemicals that constantly vaporize and create gases which have anti – corrosion properties.
- These vapors form a very thin protective film layer around the metal surface and prevent the metal from the corrosion action.
SafePack VCI In Action
VCI chemicals dissociate into anions and cations with moisture as an electrolyte. These anions and cations associate with anodic and cathodic reactive areas respectively on the metal surface forming a mono-ionic protective layer, making it inert for any further reaction such as oxidation/rusting. Any loss of ions is replenished through further condensation of vapor ensuring continuous protection.
SAFEPACK VCI’s are non-toxic, environment friendly and made to international standards.
GENERAL VCI FAQ
1) What is VCI? / What does VCI mean?
VCI stands for Volatile Chemical Inhibitors (also known as VPI – Vapor Phase Inhibitor) These are high tech chemicals and are volatile in nature. They constantly vaporize & protect the metals from corrosion.
2) What is the difference between VCI & VPI?
VCI stands for Volatile Chemical Inhibitors whereas VPI stands for Vapor Phase Inhibitors. They mean the same.
3) How does VCI protect the metal?
Refer the action given in brochure.
4) Which are the different types of chemicals?
Broadly they belong to the group of Amines.
5) What is the Speciality of Safepack VCI’s vis / vis local competitors?
Safepack VCI’s are high tech chemicals designed to suit specific applications. They pass stringent laboratory tests and are made to international standards. They withstand severe atmospheric conditions and work in Tropical conditions as well as at sub – zero climatic conditions.
6) How many chemicals are used?
Safepack VCI’s are a combination of up to 8 to 10 different high – tech chemicals depending on the application and atmospheric conditions under which metals are to be protected.
7) Are your VCI’s coated or impregnated?
Safepack VCI’s are impregnated on its sophisticated state – of – the – art processing line.
8) What is impregnation?
Impregnation is a process by which the VCI chemicals are deposited with high pressure on the paper. Unlike surface coated paper, impregnation ensures a uniform & homogenous absorption of the chemicals by the paper.
9) Are the VCI Chemicals toxic?
No Safepack VCI’s are non toxic & environment friendly.
10) What happens if we inhale the chemicals?
The chemicals used are non – toxic. However, as a precaution it is recommended to use them in a well ventilated area. (Refer MSDS)
11) What is the shelf life of VCI paper / VCI powder / VCI Tablet / VCI Oil / VCI PE Film?
Under normal conditions of storage, shelf life of Safepack VCI product is up to 2 years.
12) What is the protection period from the date of packing?
The protection period depends on internal & external atmospheric conditions under which the VCI product is to be used. The protection period is inversely proportional to the temperature & airflow.
13) Is airtight packing required?
No, airtight packaging is not required. However, the package should not be left open to atmosphere & adequate secondary packing with polythene / HDPE sheet should be used wherever required.
14) What happens if the package is opened for inspection purpose?
With Safepack VCI’s, the package can be opened for inspection purpose. Though there will be some loss, very small VCI Vapors, still there is enough load of VCI’s available for protection. Care should be taken to close the package immediately after inspection to ensure optimum protection.
15) How much is the loss of chemicals when package is opened?
The loss of chemicals is inversely proportional to the Temp & Airflow (Please refer Point No: 12)
16) Will VCI’s increase our cost of packaging?
No, when all direct & indirect costs with conventional packing are considered then on the contrary studies show that there is a 60% saving in costs by using Safepack VCI’s.
17) Which side of the paper to be used?
The side on which VCI’s are coated should face the metal / component to be protected. For case of VCI coated side from non – coated side, Safepack VCI coated side has a greenish color shade.
18) Is VCI Powder similar to Silica gel?
No, VCI Powder is a concentrated form of high tech VCI chemicals which vaporizes & forms a mono – molecular protective layer on the metal surface to be protected. Thereby it protects the metal from corrosion where as silica gel absorbs a certain amount of water vapor only & does not protect from corrosion.
19) What are the benefits of VCI?
VCI’s offer a dry means of protection unlike conventional oils / greases / paints / varnishes etc which are messy. VCI’s save costs in material & labor. VCI packaging products or anti corrosion packaging are environmental friendly
20) When do we use VCI packaging material ?
Whenever corrosion protection is needed for metals.
21) In what form is VCI paper / film available?
VCI paper & film is available in the form of Rolls, Cutsheets, 2 Dimensional Pouches, 3 Dimensional bags & Tubing.
22) Is VCI paper HDW waterproof?
Yes. The VCI Paper FEP x 90 HDW (SP- FE – 180 WF) has a layer of LDPE Film also which makes it waterproof.
23) How to test the corrosion performance of VCI products?
Please refer the Safepack’s standard procedure for comparative corrosion performance test.
24) How to identify whether there are VCI chemicals in present in the product? (Any immediate test like litmus?)
There is a Test available but it is very complex & expensive. Unfortunately, there is no quick test like litmus for detection of presence of VCI’s.
25) What is 1 cycle test?
1 cycle refers to the test of corrosion performance which involves 8 hrs of heating followed by 16 hrs of cooling. This time span of 24 hrs is called as 1 cycle.
26) Can VCI’s protect from water?
If there occurs water flooding in a VCI package, then the VCI’s will get drowned / diluted in water and will be rendered in effective.
27) What is the maximum temperature at which VCI’s can still work?
For optimum protection the temperature should not exceed 55 oC. Any further increase in temperature will result in faster loss of VCI’s and will reduce protection period.
28) How to determine what qty of VCI paper / film / powder / tablet / oil is required to design the package?
As a thumb rule 1 sq. Mtr. of VCI Paper is required for protection of 2 sq. Mtr. of metal surface. 1 gm of VCI Powder / Tablet for protection of 1 cu. ft of void space.
29) How much surface area of metal can be covered by 1 liter of Prewash solution / VCI Oil?
1 Ltr VCI Prewash can cover approx 100 sq. Mtr. of surface area. 1 Ltr VCI rust preventive Oil can cover approx 50 sq. Mtr. surface area.
As leading anti-corrosion VCI packaging products manufacturing company we offer research based customized range of products
Volatile Corrosion Inhibitor VCI packaging material